7 Questions for Young Pastors!
To all the young and upcoming Pastors, I have come up with this blog because of the current rate at which the Church is growing and most importantly the readiness for the coming of the lord.
Secondly, my well over two decades of pastoral and leadership experience prompted me to help in re-positioning ministers in all totality for the ministry and effectiveness.
Therefore, the questions I raised here will always be begging for faithful answers if you must choose the path of success in this high calling of God.
1. What are your Motives before you enter into the ministry?
If your motive is wrong, that is, either out- rightly or stylishly opposite to God’s kingdom vision of salvation of mankind, then you are already in a journey of fruitless and regression.
There is no way to think or move wrongly and end rightly. I wish to sound a note of warning here, that God does or will not applaud your fame and success in the ministry, but only want to celebrate your faithfulness and righteous life.
Getting your motives wright will afford you of getting the ministry in right direction.
2. Who is your Mentor? Carefully and spiritually choosing your mentor in the ministry is either to assassinate or robustly affect your ministerial destiny. Have you ever heard of this “like Father like son” so what type of mentor do you have, what his or her secret life, is it full and controlled by materialism or humility and genuine passion for gospel? You will need to always run an acid test on your mentor as to life style and frequent message, are they centered on holiness and coming of the lord…..I will also implore you to use God’s wisdom to settle the rest, because sometimes God will not even talk to you about your mentor at all which will eventually determine your entire life and ministry.
3. Who are your Friends in the ministry?
Choosing friends that are also ministers at the beginning, middle or towards your old age is purely your own decision and also at your own risk. Because it can affect you and your ministry positively or negatively, although, you can’t be an island, you will need to relate and friendship with fellow ministers, but the quality, bible standard and godly type is strictly your choice.
Be therefore quick to learn the lesson of life from relationship of king Jehoshaphat with Ahab.
4. What are your Favorite Books?
Reading books is like furthering or advancing your academic with different types of lecturers. Therefore the type of book you devoted your life for may determine your type of passion in the ministry.
If God truly called you, you will have your own blue print and not to be easily manipulated by every book you stumble upon.
God wants us to be different to others in carrying out his order without compromise.
Be strong enough to accept or reject any book regardless of author considering your faithfulness and godly life as more paramount.
5. Is your Marriage healthy for the ministry?
This is where pretense is useless and don’t ever try one. If your marriage is not good, there is no adjustment that will work in the ministry. Your success in the ministry will start with the success in your marriage. People want to see the evidence of your calling from your marriage first before the pew.
6. How Rooted are you in the word?
Believe it or not, you will only give what you have. The measure of the word of God combined with Spirit filling will go a long way in your daily overcoming life with sin, Satan and flesh.
Your richness in the word of God and Spirit will produce Bible pattern Church and rapturable saint.Read Ephesians 3:17-19; Colossians 2:7.
7. Is your passion’s wright?
Every failure is a product of wrong passion and also a successful adventure, business is linked to a positive and wright passion, this is also applicable to ministerial calling and the type has to be godly with heavenly pursuit. The people around you must grow from your passion for righteousness, faithfulness and sacrificial life as you relentlessly winning souls and edify the Church for Jesus at rapture.
The passion to satisfy God daily in your both christian and ministerial life is non negotiable if you must end your journey well with God.
You are blessed in Jesus name.- Dr G O Oyedepo
Please SHARE if you find this blog helpful!